Countdown to the Oregon State Fair–See you there!
Oregon’s 11-day party is almost here, and what an event it will be! Gates open at 10 a.m. Aug. 24 for the 147th Oregon State Fair in Salem, which runs through Labor Day, Sept. 3.
Fairgoers will be delighted with the huge array of free concerts, exhibits, kid fun, contests, special promotions and penny-pinching deals. As always, the Fair is the standard bearer of all things agricultural, showcasing the special traditions of farming that built Oregon’s economy and still drive it today. Small animals, big animals, animals that fly, bleat, bray and moo are a Fairtime classic. Expect 4-H and other competitions to be both fierce and fun.
Not so traditional? Check out the cutting edge entertainment, starting with the “Rock U” Music Pavilion, new to the Fair this year. Enter one of eight contests (Hurry! Deadline is August 17) or experience the custom designed, interactive Institute of Rock ‘n Roll Exhibit. Rockers and wannabes, this Pavilion show is for you. Jam on a 10-foot long keyboard, shred an electric guitar at one of four guitar stations, or just whang away on the drums and call it percussive. Groupies welcome.
Music lovers will also enjoy this year’s spectacular concert lineup. Tickets are still available for the following shows held at the LB Day Comcast Amphitheater. Act fast!
- Aug 24–Colbie Caillat/Gavin Degraw. Foodies and wine lovers can combine the show with “Pairings: A Celebration of Oregon Wine, Cuisine & Music.” Experience award-winning Oregon wines, paired with exquisite cuisine from outstanding Oregon chefs. Savor the music of Patrick Lamb’s American Soul and Salute to Stevie Wonder in the Hart of the Garden.
- Aug 25–Joe Walsh
- Aug 31–Jeff Dunham
- Sept 1–Demi Lovato/Hot Chelle Rae
- Sept 3–Jake Owen
Tickets are still available at www.oregonstatefair.org and include fair admission.
Everyone loves a bargain, so check out these discounts and special days. See website for restrictions and details:
- Opening day, Aug. 24: $5 Friday! All gate admission and pre-sale tickets are $5. On sale till 4 p.m.
- Monday, Aug. 27, 2012 – Les Schwab Tires Kids Day! Free admission for kids aged 0-13. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Plus, half off Funtastic carnival rides and game tickets.
- Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2012 – Celebrate Freedom Day. Free admission for all veterans and current military personnel with military ID.
- Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2012 – KATU Channel 2 Wristband Ride Day. Pick your time of day! $30 unlimited ride wristband. Includes two free games.
- Wednesday, Aug. 29, 2012 – Comcast Wristband Ride Day Pick your time of day! $30 unlimited ride wristband. Includes two free games.
- Friday, Aug. 31: Oregon Lottery Day. Get a $1 four-Spot Keno ticket when you buy one $1 Mega Millions(R) ticket in the Oregon Lottery Game Zone. Over 21 only.
- Every day: Free with admission. Outstanding live entertainment at the KOIN Local 6 Center Stage, Spirit of Oregon Stage, and Les Schwab Tires Familyville Stage.