Park Heritage Notes (2010)
They look great after 75 years
Four state parks—two with lighthouse connections and two linked with preserving highway scenery—are celebrating their diamond anniversaries.
Cape Lookout State Park is the largest. Almost half of its 2,014 acres came from the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1935. The federal agency donated the land, all of it on the cape, after building a lighthouse on Cape Meares a few miles north. A 2-mile hiking trail cuts through to the tip of the headland.
The centerpiece of Yaquina Bay State Recreation Site operated as an active lighthouse—from 1871-1874—before it was replaced by the light on Yaquina Head. Another gift from the U.S. Lighthouse Service, the building is preserved as a historic landmark.
H.B. Van Duzer Forest and John B. Yeon state scenic corridors were among the properties the State Highway Division acquired in the 1930s to preserve roadside stands of native forest. A short hiking trail from a parking area in the John B. Yeon corridor leads over a bridge built by the Civilian Conservation Corps to scenic 289-foot Elowah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge.
Named for a former state highway commission chair, the Van Duzer corridor has a wayside long used as a rest stop and picnic site by Highway 18 motorists traveling between the Willamette Valley and the coast.