Humbug Mountain campground gets a facelift (2010)
Beginning Sept. 7, construction crews will build a new restroom, install an RV dump station, add a new drainfield with a septic system, and give a third of the park’s 90-plus campsites new or improved electrical service. The work will keep the campground closed until Feb. 28, 2011, but the park’s day-use area and trails will remain open.
When the project is completed, the park will have 35 electrical hookup sites with 50 amp service. The park now has 32 sites with 30-amp electrical service. Five of the park’s 62 tent sites will be converted to electrical hookup units. The new restroom building is being built on site to serve campers in the campground’s A-loop. The brick building will include showers and be fully ADA-accessible. It replaces a restroom believed to be one of the oldest in the state.
Humbug Mountain is one of Oregon’s oldest state parks. Land for the park, six miles south of Port Orford, was first acquired in 1926. Its campground was built in 1952.
Cape Blanco State Park, nine miles north of Port Orford, offers the nearest south coast camping option with its 53 electrical hookup campsites, all open year-round.