First Day Hikes are back! (2014)
Ring in 2015 by joining one of 31 guided hikes in state parks on New Year’s Day. This is our fourth year offering First Day Hikes, a nationwide initiative sponsored by America’s State Parks. Last year, more than 940 hikers joined the ranger-led hikes in Oregon.
Day-use parking fees are waived on Jan. 1 for all visitors to participating state parks that normally require a permit.
Click on the park name below for more details, hike length and terrain.
First Day Hikes
Portland Metro area
- L.L. “Stub” Stewart State Park, 9-11 a.m.—meet at Hilltop Day-use Area picnic shelter
- Milo McIver State Park, 10-11:30 a.m.—meet at lower boat ramp of Riverbend Day-use Area
- Tryon Creek State Natural Area, 9-11 a.m.—meet at Nature Center
Columbia River Gorge
- Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.—meet at Mark O. Hatfield East trailhead in Mosier
- Rooster Rock State Park, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. —meet at far east end of parking lot
- Champoeg State Heritage Area, 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:30-3:30 p.m.—meet at visitor center
- Elijah Bristow State Park, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.—bring your horse and meet at equestrian staging area
- Luckiamute Landing State Natural Area, 9:30-11:30 a.m.—meet at north trailhead
- North Santiam State Recreation Area, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.—meet at North Santiam picnic shelter
- Silver Falls State Park, 10-11 a.m.—meet on porch of South Falls Lodge
- Willamette Mission State Park, 10-11:30 a.m. and 1-2:30 p.m.—meet at main entrance flagpole loop
- Tou Velle State Recreation Site, 11 a.m.-noon—meet at picnic area A
- Valley of the Rogue State Park, 11 a.m.-12 p.m.—meet at program area
- Beverly Beach State Park, 10 a.m.-noon—meet at day-use parking area
- Bullards Beach State Park, 10-11:30 a.m.—meet at the campground amphitheater
- Cape Lookout State Park, noon-3 p.m.—meet at Cape Trail trailhead parking lot 2.75 miles south of campground
- Carl G. Washburne Memorial State Park, 1-2 p.m.—meet in front of campground host site and wood bin
- D River State Recreation Site, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.—meet in wayside parking area near beach entrance
- Ecola State Park, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.—meet at the Ecola Point parking lot near Indian Beach trailhead.
- Fort Stevens State Park, 9-11 a.m.—meet at Coffenbury Lake north parking lot
- Harris Beach State Park, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. —bring your bike and meet at booth parking lot.
- Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State Park, noon -2 p.m.—meet at West Woahink Meeting Hall
- South Beach State Park, 9-10:30 a.m.—meet at day-use parking area
- Umpqua Lighthouse State Park, 10-11 a.m.—meet at Lake Marie day-use parking lot
- OC&E Woods Line State Trail, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., meet at the Switchbacks near summit of Bliss Road south of Sprague River
- Cottonwood Canyon State Park, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.—meet at day-use visitor center
- Emigrant Springs State Heritage Area, noon-1 p.m.—meet at community building
- Iwetemlaykin State Heritage Site, 10-11 a.m.—meet at parking area next to Highway 82
- Smith Rock State Park, 10 a.m.-noon—meet at welcome center yurt
Share your First Day Hike photos via by using the hashtag #ORfirstdayhikes for Twitter and Instagram or tagging “Oregon State Parks” on Facebook. Images can also be emailed to email@example.com.
In case of inclement weather, contact each park to find out about cancellations—phone numbers are available online.