First Day Hikes are back for 2016 (2015)
Free parking at participating parks Jan. 1
Free guided First Day Hikes are set for 27 state parks on New Year’s Day. Park rangers or volunteers will lead most of the hikes. The usual $5 day-use parking fee is waived for all visitors at participating parks Jan. 1 only.
If you go
Dress in layers, wear sturdy shoes, and bring water as well as a camera or binoculars for wildlife viewing.
This year, OPRD is asking participants to share photos of their First Day Hike via social media by using the hashtag #ORfirstdayhikes Twitter and Instagram or tagging “Oregon State Parks” on Facebook. Images can also be e-mailed to email@example.com.
Click on the links below for more information about the hike at each park.
- L.L. “Stub” Stewart Memorial State Park, 9 a.m. at the Hilltop Day-use Area.
- Milo McIver State Park, 10 a.m. at the Riverbend lower boat launch parking lot.
- Tryon Creek State Natural Area, 9 a.m. at the Nature Center.
- Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail, 10 a.m. at the Tooth Rock Trailhead
- Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail, 1 p.m. at the Hatfield East Trailhead
- Champoeg State Heritage Area, hikes (2) at 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Meet at the Visitor Center.
- Elijah Bristow State Park, noon horse ride at the equestrian parking area. Bring your own horse.
- Fort Yamhill State Heritage Area, 10 a.m. at the trailhead kiosk.
- Luckiamute State Natural Area, 10 a.m. at the North Luckiamute Trailhead if conditions allow. Alternate meeting site at the South Luckiamute Trailhead. North Santiam State Park, 11:30 a.m. at the picnic shelter.
- North Santiam State Park, 11:30 a.m. at the picnic shelter.
- Silver Falls State Park, 10 a.m. at the South Falls Lodge porch.
- Willamette Mission State Park, hikes (2) at 10 a.m. and noon. Meet at the Wheatland Ferry bicycle trailhead parking lot.
- CANCELLED OC&E Woods Line State Trail. Too much snow in the parking areas and on the trail for a pleasant hike.
- TouVelle State Recreation Site, 11 a.m. at the parking lot next to Area F.
- Valley of the Rogue State Park, 11 a.m. at the park program area.
- Beverly Beach State Park, 10 a.m. in the day-use area
- Bullards Beach State Park, 10 a.m. near the entrance to B Loop.
- Cape Lookout State Park, Noon in the Cape Lookout Trail parking lot.
- Fort Stevens State Park, 10 a.m. in the North Coffenbury Lake parking lot.
- Harris Beach State Park, 10 a.m. in the extra vehicle parking lot.
- Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State Park, 10 a.m. at the group campground parking lot off Canary Road.
- Taft Beach in Lincoln City, 10 a.m. at the #49 Beach Access, 825, SW 51st Street
- Nehalem Bay State Park, 10 a.m. in the parking lot behind the registration booth.
- South Beach State Park, 10 a.m. at the South Jetty Trailhead.
- William M. Tugman State Park, 10 a.m. in the day-use parking lot by the boat ramp.