We’re headed outside on New Year’s Day for First Day Hikes in 21 Oregon State Parks. Park rangers or volunteers will lead most of the hikes. Day-use parking fees are waived for all visitors at participating parks Jan. 1 only.
Plan for any type of weather condition and remember to bring your binoculars for wildlife viewing.
Participating parks and meeting areas:
- L.L. “Stub” Stewart Memorial State Park, 10 a.m. at the Hilltop Day-use Area.
- Milo McIver State Park, 10 a.m. at the Riverbend lower boat launch parking lot.
- Tryon Creek State Natural Area, 9 a.m. at the Nature Center.
- Guy Talbot State Park, 1 p.m. at the parking lot near the information kiosk.
- Champoeg State Heritage Area, 1 p.m. at the Visitor Center.
- Elijah Bristow State Park, noon horse ride at the equestrian parking area. Bring your own horse.
- North Santiam State Park, 11:30 a.m. at the picnic shelter.
- Silver Falls State Park, 10 a.m. at the South Falls Lodge porch.
- Collier Memorial State Park, 10 a.m. at the Logging Museum Cookhouse.
- TouVelle State Park, 11 a.m. at picnic shelter A near the park entrance.
- Cape Lookout State Park, noon at the Cape Lookout Trail parking lot.
- D River State Recreation Area, 10 a.m. at the stairway
- Depoe Bay Whale Watching Center, 1 p.m. at the center.
- Fort Stevens State Park, 10 a.m. at the Area C parking lot.
- Harris Beach State Park, 9 a.m. at the day-use parking lot.
- Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State Park, 10 a.m. at Siuslaw North Jetty last parking lot near the Coast Guard tower.
- Oswald West State Park, 9 a.m. at the main park lot, Short Sands Beach Trailhead.
- Port Orford Heads State Park, 10 a.m. at the restored lifeboat pavilion.
- South Beach State Park, 10 a.m. at the South Jetty Trailhead.
- Umpqua Lighthouse State Park, 10 a.m. at the day-use parking are near the Lake Marie trail sign.
- Cottonwood Canyon State Park, 11 a.m. at the day-use area
- Emigrant Springs State Heritage Park, 11 a.m. snowshoe hike at the Oregon Trail kiosk west of the park entrance.
- Smith Rock State Park, 10 a.m. at the bivouac campground. Register by calling 541-548-7501 ext. 1 and leave a message with your name, phone number and the number of people in your group.